Arkansas State University Faculty Women's Club Records
The Faculty Women’s Club records (1.668 linear feet) are arranged into three series (Club Records, Books, and Organizational History). The Club Records series contains one subseries comprised of 50 folders arranged chronologically by the club minutes and club news. The Books series is comprised of three subseries: Yearbooks, Handbooks, and Scrapbooks. The Organizational History series contains 2 subseries, History and Presentation. There is also one item: an Appreciation Plaque.
- 1946 - 2007
Conditions Governing Access
This manuscript collection consists of physical materials. This collection has not been digitized. This collection is open for research use only in the Reading Room. It is not available for request through Interlibrary Loan. Please contact the archive via email (email@example.com) at least a week in advance of your arrival to ensure the availability of the material.
Biographical / Historical
The Faculty Women’s Club of Arkansas State College/ Arkansas State University was established informally in 1938 as a social organization for faculty wives. Earlier references in newspaper clippings note the club’s existence at least as early as 1935. The original membership of the club consisted of the wives of male faculty. Female professors were guests in the beginning but were later considered club members. With the growth of Arkansas State College, the Faculty Women’s Club became a formal organization in 1946. Their mission was to inform the local citizens about the needs of Arkansas State and to serve as a forum for female faculty members and the spouses of male faculty. In 1947 the organization approved a club scholarship which later became an important focus of the group. In 1980 the Faculty Women’s club scholarship was awarded to a male student for the first time. In 1951 the club also awarded and financed the first medal given to the outstanding ROTC honor cadet and has continued to do so.
1.668 Linear Feet (The Arkansas State University Faculty Women's Club Records is comprised of 61 folders and one plaque contained within 4 boxes. )
The Faculty Women's Club, founded in 1938, was created to inform local citizens about the needs of Arkansas State University and serve as a forum for spouses of male faculty and, later, female faculty members. The records include yearbooks summarizing club activities, meeting minutes, membership rosters, and scholarship information.
Each subseries is arranged chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was first transferred to the archive in 2006 by Barbara Doyle. Subsequent additions to the collection have been received.
Further additions to this collection are not expected.
- Arkansas State University Faculty Women's Club Records Finding Aid
- Flora Smith, Editor
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note